Michigan Mortuary Science Foundation Scholarship
MMSF Awards New Scholarships
- Daniel Taylor
- Brandy Carter
Applications Now Being Taken for 2017-2018 School Year
The Michigan Mortuary Science Foundation’s Scholarship Committee is now taking applications for the mortuary science scholarship program. The scholarships generally range from $500 to $3,000. There is a link to the online scholarship application at www.mfda.org. Eligible applicants must be a Michigan resident and either planning to attend or attending mortuary school. The scholarship money can be used to defray tuition at any mortuary science school. Applicants will submit basic information and a short essay online. They will also have to upload a 5 minute video to YouTube answering 3 questions related to funeral service, and provide a copy of college transcripts and a letter of recommendation from an MFDA member funeral director. All materials must be received by Friday, September 1, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. for consideration. The Foundation and MFDA encourage members to spread the word about this scholarship.
MMSF’s primary objective is the advancement and encouragement, promotion, improvement and benefit of training in mortuary science and allied fields.
The number of scholarships and amounts are chosen at the discretion of the committee and generally range from $500 to $3,000. The money will be applied directly to the student’s tuition after certification of enrollment is received from a mortuary science school in or out of Michigan. The scholarship will not be based on need. If the student fails to complete mortuary school, the scholarship money will be required to be refunded. The scholarship student must always be considered an active student according to their school of attendance.
To be considered for an award, a student must:
- Have been a MI resident for at least 12 months.
- Have a reference from an MFDA member funeral director.
- Complete all of the online and additional application items by deadline.
- Have not received this award in the past.
All form submissions and additional materials must be received, via mail or email by 5:00 p.m. on September 1, 2017.
- Complete this online form. Points are awarded for each section completed; please be thorough when completing this form. Put N/A in areas that do not apply to you.
- Mail or email the Additional Requirements to the address listed below.
- The student must submit a 5 minute video response to 3 questions. See Additional Requirements for more information.
After completion of the online Scholarship Application form, the applicant will receive an email confirmation. Please print out a copy of the confirmation and mail it along with the additional items listed below. Use the Additional Requirements Checklist to assist you in collecting the additional information required to complete your scholarship application.
1.) The applicant must upload a five minute video to You Tube in response to the questions below.
2.) The title of the video should be “MMSF 2017- Your Name”.
3.) You may choose to make the video public or unlisted. (Do not make it private as the Committee will not be able to view it.)
4.) The video presentation must be one continuous presentation with no breaks or visible editing between questions.
If you need help, please click Help at the bottom of the You Tube homepage for instructions.
1. What is your greatest concern about a career in funeral service?
2. Section 1812 of the Mortuary Science Code prohibits combination funeral home and cemetery (including cremation) operations. Is this regulation good or bad and why?
3. Discuss the positives and negatives of mandatory continuing education?
Mail or email additional items to:
Michigan Mortuary Science Foundation
2420 Science Parkway
Okemos, MI 48864
For questions, contact Theresa Grabinski at 1-888-955-6332.